Conservation International Indonesia is a non-profit organization with head office in Crystal City, Arlington USA and whose mission is to conserve the Earth’s living heritage, our global biodiversity, and to demonstrate that human societies are able to live harmoniously with nature.
Bali MPA Network Coordinator
This position is based in Bali and may occasionally travel to Jakarta or other places when necessary. The primary responsibility of the Bali Marine Protected Area (MPA) Network Coordinator is to lead an initiative to design and facilitate the establishment of a functional MPA network for Bali Island, starting in the Nusa Penida Islands. She/he will collaborate with Bali Goverment (province and regencies) and CI Indonesia main partners including community, local government, private sectors, and other non-government organizations. The MPA Coordinator is also responsible to generate broad stakeholder support of the MPAs, oversee the gazettement and implementation of the MPAs including designation of zonation systems and overall management plans, and design a long-term sustainable financing plan for the MPAs. The Bali MPA Network Coordinator will work closely with the CI Indonesia Marine Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Socialize the MPA network concept and benefit of fisheries and non-extractive economic benefits of MPAs to all stakeholders in Bali, including Nusa Penida Islands, in cooperation with our main conservation partners and utilizing both formal courses and other outreach media;
- Facilitate necessary activities to reach the objective of establishing a functional Bali MPA network, with the start in Nusa Penida Islands MPA including gazettement process, advocate policy to support MPA gazettement, and designation of MPA zoning system Provide technical assistance and facilitate the development of local capacity to manage Nusa Penida Islands MPA;
- Facilitate the process of and provide technical assistance to stakeholders to develop long-term management plan and management structure of proposed Nusa Penida Islands MPA;
- Facilitate the process to attain broad agreement on management body of the MPAs;
- Provide technical assistance and facilitate the development of local capacity to manage Nusa Penida Islands MPA;
- Facilitate the development of sustainable financing scenario for the proposed Bali MPA network;
- Prepare regular reports on the progress of proposed MPA establishment and implementation.
Required Skills and Capabilities:
The successful candidate is expected to have the following attributes:
- Master’s degree and/or at least 5 years working experience on facilitating the process of MPA establishment, coastal and marine conservation management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong technical command of fisheries benefits of MPAs
- Strong ability to manage group process and dynamics
- Good command of English (speaking, reading and writing)
- Knowledge/understanding of local cultural setting
- Ability to work with teams
- Ability to write reports
- Creative thinker
Include a cover letter and a CV of no more than 3 pages. Separately list at least two referees with recent experience supervising your work should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for the application is March 15, 2010
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified).